Why and Manners

By Jaisey
So I thought that I would touch on why it is so important that parents begin to educate their children early. According to the Ohio Department of Education, “The years from birth through preschool set the foundation for much of what children will learn in kindergarten, the first and second grade and beyond.” If you think about it, the majority of little things that your little ones learn before preschool are things that they will continue to use throughout their lives. We teach our kids to tie their shoes, clothe themselves, teach them their colors, teach them how to share, how to be polite, and a ton of other things when they are young. I know that I still use all of theses things in my day-to-day lives. Another thing that I think is super important to teach our children when they are very young is manners. It amazes me that my 18-month old son had better manners than some adults out there! My baby Arin knows that when I hand him something, he says “thank you,” if he wants something, he says “please,” and if someone says thank you to him, he says “your welcome.” When you build a foundation of good manners early in life, it carries with them forever. I think that is one of the most important things you can do for your children, teach them manners at a young age. Even if a parent does not think that it is necessary to begin education early on in the child’s life, I feel that it is a must for the parents to teach the child/children manners.
 

2 comments so far.

  1. amberdawn110 October 30, 2007 at 3:34 PM
    Its so sad because Im not sure where everyone's manners have gone?? I am always shocked when Paige, my 5 yr old, holds the door open for an adult and they just walk right on through without a word, or they push by her without and excuse me. Paige on the other hand ALWAYS says excuse me, she will apologizes when she gets in someone's way, and always thanks people for helping her. Adults seem to have forgotten that manners DO matter. The saddest part of all of this is that my 5 yr old NOTICES the bad manners of adults, when the adults seem to be oblivious to common courtesy. Many times Paige has asked me why so many grown ups are so rude, she speculates that their parents may have never taught them manners. In a way it makes me laugh. I just remind her that its not about how other people act, its more important that she acts in a way that she can be proud of, that's what matters. Im so glad that my children will grow up learning to treat others with kindness and respect. I just hope that the things that we are teaching them will stick through adulthood and they dont become one of the millions of rude adults out there!
    Amber
  2. TOY November 1, 2007 at 6:34 PM
    Hello I agree totally with the manners aspect. It is one of the things my grandparents would teach us growing up. It is one of the best things that I teach my boys down to my son who is 22 months. He says it all. Not only that I have people tell me how my children have great manners.

Something to say?