Being a mom is easier when the kids aren’t around.

By Jaisey

I’m kind of stumped as to what to write for my blog(s) this week. See the problem is that I have been on a kid-free vacation since Thursday. My wonderful in-laws came in from Illinois to share the holiday with us. It was great; the turkey was good, the quiet house was even better. See when Nana and Papa come to visit, they get a hotel out in town and take the boys to stay with them for the duration of their trip. Don’t get me wrong, I love my babies to death. But I don’t often get a break from them. Most days I am around them from the time they wake up until the time they go to bed. So a little break every now and then is great. It was amazing, the house stayed almost spotless! I was hoping to get a little more read in my book, The New Strong-Willed Child, but homework was a little more important. I did get a little read on the discipline chapter. Dr. Dobson advises a three step process. 1. Ask nicely. “Adin can you please pick your toys up?” 2. Inform them in a strict tone while slightly gripping their shoulder... “Adin, mommy wants you to pick your toys up right now. Do you understand me?” 3. A firm swat on the bottom. That is considerably different from how we had been doing things. I would always ask Adin about five or six times. And then I would start to get frustrated. And then I would demand that he do as he was told about two or three times. Then he would get a spanking.


Since they boys came home last night, I got to try out this new way of getting Adin to listen to me today. I was quite shocked (and pleased) when I only had to get to step two before he complied. And I only had to even go to step two twice. After that he listened on the first time. I think he is beginning to realize that mommy is done playing. See the thing is, according to Dr. Dobson, that children know their parents breaking point and they will continue to push and push right up to that line. How right he is. I don’t know how many times Adin has stopped and finally listened to me just two seconds before I tear all of my hair out. But with this new discipline technique, we didn’t have that problem at all. In fact, the only time I was really frazzled today was when they decided to paint the living room in apple cinnamon oatmeal. But I guess that is what I get for trying to play on the internet for a few instead of eating breakfast. Maybe that was their way of telling me that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and I should be down eating with them? Or maybe they were trying to let me know that they were in much need of some arts and crafts time? Who knows, but all I can hope for is more good days like this. Oh and Adin didn’t pee on any furniture while we were bed shopping. Thank God.
 

7 comments so far.

  1. Anonymous November 28, 2007 at 3:57 PM
    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
  2. bryon November 28, 2007 at 4:21 PM
    This really seems to work well for your children. My second child (daughter) was born last Sunday and I was really considering to read a parenting book. Do you recommend this one by Dr. Dobson? Let me know because my first daughter really seems to want to be on her own program. And thank god for the in-laws that watch the kids every now and then. My wife's parents are the same way, every time we see them they would take Samantha out for a while. It was always a nice break.
  3. Anonymous November 28, 2007 at 6:56 PM
    I love reading what you write. I'm so glad to read that your family enjoyed a great Thanksgiving together. It is also so nice to read that you got a little mini break from the kids. I know that Jeff and I are so thankful when we get time away from the kids. It just gives us the time we need to reconnect together. Plus, it is amazing to catch up on reading, or to have nothing on your agenda. (deep sigh). I know that Dr. Dobson's books are good. I've heard the hype, but I have never actually read one of his books. Being a Christian, I should probably do so, eh?? Looking forward to reading more of your blogs. Love you, honey!
  4. Julie P.Q. November 28, 2007 at 7:37 PM
    Great post here, and I like the visual changes you have made. This site looks very soothing!

    Isn't it amazing how getting new advice (a la Dr. Dobson) really allowed you to attempt something new and get a great response from that attempt? I'm glad you gave it a shot. Maybe also having a few days to yourself helped. I wonder if you could write more about parental vacations. I have been telling my sister for ages now to take a small break, but my comments fall on deaf ears...
  5. Marjorie November 29, 2007 at 12:19 AM
    As a mother of three children, it is always good to take a small break from the children. Unfortunately I never have a chance because I do not have any one around. At the same time, it is always good to follow a few guidelines by some experts how to discipline young children.
  6. KanwalY November 29, 2007 at 5:43 PM
    You know, I always read your blogs, but I never really responded to them, because I honestly feel as if I won't be able to relate to your writing since I do not have any children myself (at least not yet). But seriously, I couldn't resist on this post-you are an amazing writer and not just this post, but all of your posts have been so enlightening. Now I could sort of relate to this post because you talk about how kids do not listen until their parents are about to explode! Do you know why I relate to that? Well, kind of because I am (or used to be) one of them! I tend to get really stubborn when I want something, and until I don't push my parents buttons, I just don't stop. I keep thinking, "Maybe they will say yes now, maybe they will say yes now." But unfortunately it isn't so true. I have grown out of that stage (at least I am not like before) because I grew up and also because I am married. Now I keep thinking, "Oh I hope my future kids do not do the same thing to me!"
    Anyways, keep up the writing because you are doing an excellent job!!
  7. 4kinder December 3, 2007 at 5:54 AM
    Getting a break once in a while from the kids is the only way for parents to keep their sanity. raising four kids ranging from 16 yrs to 19 mos is challenging.especially if two have a handicap and your are also working full time. i enjoy the moments when the 3 big ones are in school and the little one takes his nap and on weekends dad takes them of my hands for an hour so that i can chill and enjoy the silance. keep your head up slim. dad

Something to say?